Samsung WB850F Smart Camera with Built-in-Wi-fi
- Resolution: 16.2 MP
- LCD Size: 3.0"
- Shutter: Smart Auto 1/8 ~ 1/2,000 sec
- > Price: $330 - $380/£215 - £290
The Samsung WB850F is part of the four-model WiFi enabled line of cameras the company is using to launch its concept of the "smart camera." Like the rest of the cameras in this family, the WB850F lets you to instantly share photos on social networking sites, send them to your e-mail account, or transfer them to other enabled devices. The built-in Wi-Fi lets you connect via a private or public network, hotspot, or tethered smartphone. It offers out-of-the-box connectivity with most Samsung Wi-fi enabled devices.
As a camera in the compact class we noticed the built-in lens is a bit over-sized. However, it doesn't seem to get in the way once you get used to using it. In terms of picture quality, it's just what you expect from a 16 megapixel camera: adequate for day-to-day needs but certainly not professional by any standard. In addition, the larger lens means a wider range for your frame but less ability for telescoping.
Overall we found this camera quite usable and not bad for the money. We especially like the geo-tag feature which utilizes built-in GPS functionality to give a geographic location to your photos. If Wi-Fi capability is important to you the WB850F might be worth the money. If you're looking for a straight point-and-shoot without a lot of bells and whistles, spend less money on a better camera.
Advantages: Wi-fi enabled with GPS; comfortable interface; compact size; fairly long zoom capability; crisp and clear OLED display.
Disadvantages: the WB850F is a little heavier than some others; limited telescoping ability; poor performance at higher ISO settings; slow performance for both picture taking and processing.
Price and Availability: available in the US, UK, Australia; US price: $330-$380; UK price: £330-£380
Release Date: April 15, 2012
- Megapixel Count 5/5
- Lens 5/5
- Shutter Lag & Sensor Size 4/5
- Flash 3.5/5
- Memory Card 5/5
- Resolution: 16.2 mp (4608 x 3456)
- Kit Lens: Schneider-KREUZNACH
- View Finder: N/A
- LCD Size: 3"
- ISO: Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Shutter: Smart Auto 1/8 ~ 1/2,000 sec.; program 1 ~ 1/2,000; night 8 ~ 1/2,000; manual 16 ~ 1/2,000
- Max Aperture: F2.8 - F5.9
- Dimensions: 109.2 x 63.5 x 25.4 mm (4.3 x 2.5 x 1.0 in.)
- Weight: 8.18 oz.
- MSRP: USD $379.99
- Availability: US, UK, Australia
- General Information: the WB850F has both digital and optical zoom along with a nice suite of filters that can be applied to both pictures and videos; the built-in flash is a little weak (range 3.5 m) and the release button is placed in an odd position.
- Image Sensor: BSI-CMOS; 16.2 effective mp
- Image Capture: JPEG (DCF) EXIF 2.21; 8 res options
- Video Capture: 720p, 1080p; MPEG4, AVC/H.264 (audio: AAC)
- Optics: 21x optical zoom, smart zoom 1.33X; focal length 4.1 ~ 86.1mm; F No. 2.8 (W) ~ 5.9 (T)
- Auto Focus: yes; with face detect, object tracking; range 5cm-80cm
- Display: 3" fixed AMOLED
- Exposure and Flash: ±2EV (1/3EV steps); built-in flash
- Image Storage: internal 25MB; external SD/SDHC/SDXC
- Connectivity: USB 2.0., video out NTSC, PAL (User selectable)
- Power: 4.2V DC power input; SLB-10A rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery
- Software: Intelli-studio, Creative Movie Maker
More Samsung Digital Camera Reviews
- Samsung MV800 16.1 Megapixel Multiview
- Samsung NX200 20.3 Megapixel Compact System Camera
- Samsung WB150F 14 Megapixel Smart Camera
- Samsung PL20 32 MB 14.2 Megapixel Streamlined Digital Camera
- Samsung WB850F Smart Camera with Built-in-Wi-fi
- Samsung TL500 10 Megapixel Rotating LCD Digital Camera
- Samsung SH100 14 Megapixel WiFi Digital Camera
- Samsung NX100 14.6 Megapixel Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
- Samsung NX10 14.6 Megapixel Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
- Samsung ST65 32MB 14.2 Megapixel Digital Still Camera