Samsung ST65 32MB 14.2 Megapixel Digital Still Camera
- Resolution: 14 MP
- LCD Size: 3.0"
- Shutter: 8 - 1/2000 sec.
- Price: $89.95 - $129.99/£79.98 - £119.98
Samsung's ST line consists of their low-end point-and-shoot cameras designed for the amateur market. These are inexpensive cameras that people take on vacation or use for family holiday and birthday celebrations. The ST65 followed the 30 and 45 models, ostensibly adding more functionality at relatively the same price. For a cheap point-and-shoot, Samsung hit the nail on the head with this one.
Near the limit of the 5X zoom images get into the blurry range, but otherwise you can expect fairly crisp and clear pictures. It also does well in a variety of lighting conditions; low light can be a challenge but one that can be overcome with the right settings. Surprisingly, the 1280x720 video does a lot better than more expensive cameras. As a matter of fact, the video quality was one of the more pleasant surprises of the ST65.
We used this camera around town to photograph all sorts of still and moving objects. We were pleased with its performance but a little concerned with its less-than-durable feel. We suspect that if you dropped this camera from a distance you could probably do some pretty good damage. Otherwise, we recommend it as a worthwhile point-and-shoot for the budget-minded customer. You certainly could do worse than this one.
Advantages: very affordable price; ultra-compact size; effective electronic image stabilization; Smart Auto and Smart Button features.
Disadvantages: poor picture quality near 5X zoom range; cheap look and feel; controls are difficult to use for someone with big hands.
Price and Availability: the ST65 is now available worldwide; US price: $89.95-$129.99 UK price: £79.98-£119.98
Release Date: January 19, 2011
- Megapixel Count 5/5
- Lens 4/5
- Shutter Lag & Sensor Size 4/5
- Flash 5/5
- Memory Card 5/5
- Resolution: 14.2 mp
- Kit Lens: 27mm Samsung
- View Finder: NONE
- LCD Size: 2.7"
- ISO: auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Shutter: 8 ~ 1/2000 sec.
- Max Aperture: F3.9-F5.9
- Dimensions: 3.64" x 2.19" x .86"
- Weight: 3.9 oz.
- MSRP: USD $119.99
- Availability: worldwide
- General Information: fixed LCD display can be difficult in bright sunlight; auto focus comes with TTL contrast detection; includes macro focus function.
- Image Sensor: CCD (14.2 mp)
- Image Capture: JPEG, (DCF), EXIF 2.21, DPOF 1.1, PictBridge 1.0 formats; 9 res options
- Video Capture: AVI MPEG; 6 res options
- Optics: 27mm; zoom 5x; focal length f = 4.9 ~ 24.5mm
- Auto Focus: yes; digital stabilization, Smart Auto mode
- Display: 2.7" LCD
- Exposure and Flash: ±2 EV range (in 1/3 EV steps), built-in flash
- Image Storage: internal 32MB; external SD/SDHC
- Connectivity: USB 2.0, composite video/audio output
- Power: BP-70A rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (740 mAh)
- Software: Samsung Intelli Studio, Drivers & Utilities
More Samsung Digital Camera Reviews
- Samsung MV800 16.1 Megapixel Multiview
- Samsung NX200 20.3 Megapixel Compact System Camera
- Samsung WB150F 14 Megapixel Smart Camera
- Samsung PL20 32 MB 14.2 Megapixel Streamlined Digital Camera
- Samsung WB850F Smart Camera with Built-in-Wi-fi
- Samsung TL500 10 Megapixel Rotating LCD Digital Camera
- Samsung SH100 14 Megapixel WiFi Digital Camera
- Samsung NX100 14.6 Megapixel Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
- Samsung NX10 14.6 Megapixel Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
- Samsung ST65 32MB 14.2 Megapixel Digital Still Camera