Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS19
- Resolution: 14.1 MP
- LCD Size: 3"
- Shutter: 15 ~ 1/2000 sec
- Price: $269 - $349/£N/A
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS19 is a 14.1 megapixel point-and-shoot which qualifies as being halfway between an advanced compact and an entry-level DSLR. And it has a lot of amazing features for such a small camera. For those who might be unaware, it is identical to the ZS20 except for the fact that it doesn't have on-board GPS. That means it's also about $50 less expensive.
Panasonic uses a 20x zoom Leica lens and its own highly advanced optical stabilization to put a lot of raw power in such a small package. Amazingly the ZS19 is even smaller than its ZS10 predecessor without any compromise in performance. Having such a powerful zoom and a compact point-and-shoot is quite a feat.
In terms of image quality you'll do quite well with the ZS19. With adequate lighting you'll get images that are as sharp and colorful as anything you'd see from Canon or Nikon. Even in low light conditions the ZS19 is a dramatic improvement over most of the others in the ZS line. Beyond the still images you also get excellent video for a camera in this class.
In our tests the 1080/30p video was as good as we've seen for a point-and-shoot. About the only negative we can say for video recording is that the camera picks up the motor noise of the zoom lens. But that's fairly normal for any camera. All in all it's hard to do better than the ZS19 in terms of all its features compared to its price.
Advantages: 20x zoom lens; very good picture quality; excellent speed; unmatched optical stabilization; touchscreen display; good price.
Disadvantages: noise and wash out at high ISOs; battery not suitable for such high-powered functioning; slow start time; slower shutter lag than competition.
Price and Availability: the Lumix DMC-ZS19 is currently available in North America, Australia, and parts of Asia -- other markets will vary; US price: $269-$349; UK price: N/A
Release Date: April 1, 2012
- Megapixel Count: RATING 4.5/5
- Lens: RATING 5/5
- Shutter Lag & Sensor Size: RATING 4/5
- Flash: RATING 4.5/5
- Memory Card: RATING 5/5
- Resolution: 14.1 mp
- Kit Lens: Leica 20x xZoom lens
- View Finder: None
- LCD Size: 3"
- ISO: auto, high auto (1600-6400), 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600. 3200
- Shutter: 15 ~ 1/2000 sec.
- Max Aperture: F3.3-F6.4
- Dimensions: 105 x 59 x 28 mm (4.13 x 2.32 x 1.1")
- Weight: 206 g (7.27 oz)
- MSRP: USD $299.99
- Availability: North America, Australia, Asia
- General Information: Venus Engine processor; 77 MB internal storage; touchscreen display; Dolby Digital stereo; five exposure modes, 17 scene modes, 13 special effects filters.
- Image Sensor: CMOS 14.1 mp
- Image Capture: JPEG; 24 res. options
- Video Capture: 180p; MPEG, AVCHD, H.264; 7 res. options
- Optics: Leica lens with Power O.I.S. optical stabilization; focal length 24 - 480 mm
- Auto Focus: yes; with TTL contrast detection, subject tracking, face recognition
- Display: 3" LCD touchscreen
- Exposure and Flash: ±2 EV range (in 1/3 EV steps); built in flash with AF illuminator, red-eye reduction, easy auto mode, slow sync; 3' range
- Image Storage: SD, SDHC, SDXC; 77 MB internal
- Connectivity: USB 2.0, HDMI, composite video/audio
- Power: Li-ion rechargeable battery (895 mAh)
- Software: Adobe Reader, PHOTOfunSTUDIO 8.1 Premium Edition, LUMIX Map Tool, drivers & utilities